Application developer and team leader with a focus on managing complex projects to achieve desired results. More than 15 years of professional experience in all facets of software development.
- Development Tools & Platforms: GitHub, Symfony, Silex, Ruby on Rails, Laravel, CodeIgniter, WordPress, Lumen, React, Angular, Backbone, Sinatra, Node.js, Hubot, Dashing, jQuery, Redmine, Bootstrap, Zurb Foundation
- Software: Apache, NGINX, Chef, Puppet, Vagrant, Docker, Axure RP, Tableau, Serif Affinity
- Systems: Amazon Web Services, Heroku, Google Cloud, Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, CentOS, Red Hat), macOS, Microsoft Windows
- Databases: MySQL, MariaDB PostgreSQL, Redis, Mongo, Elasticsearch, Oracle
Senior Application Developer (November 2017 - Present); Application Developer (January 2017 - October 2017)
- Work on the Flagship Applications team in the Office of Research Informatics (ORI) for the Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical & Translational Research (VICTR).
- Develop and maintain enterprise-grade applications that support the research mission of VUMC and participating institutions.
- Work on the Data Research Center (DRC) team for the All of Us Research Program, an initiative to recruit one million participants to a biomedical research study through the National Institutes of Health.
- Work with project stakeholders to plan new features and address issues that may arise.
- Evaluate new tools and practices to improve the performance of the team as a whole.
Technology: Apache, Bash, Docker, Elasticsearch, Epic EHR, GitHub, GitLab, Google App Engine, Google Cloud, Grunt, Hubot, Jenkins, Jira, jQuery, MariaDB, Oracle, PHP, PivotalTracker, REDCap, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Sass, Bootstrap, Silex, Symfony, Zend, Serif Affinity, Tableau
Engineering Manager (February 2016 - December 2016); Operations Manager & Senior Developer (December 2014 - February 2016); Senior Developer (May 2012 - December 2014); Developer (May 2011 - April 2012)
- Managed a team of 10 developers and a quality analyst to build or redevelop sections of the application based on product roadmap.
- Performed code reviews and managed the release of software to our production servers.
- Developed internal tools to manage operations via chat and evaluate company performance via dashboards.
- Participated in the on-call rotation for application and operations pagers.
- Worked closely with the Customer Education team to resolve issues as they arise.
Technology: Amazon Web Services, Apache, Backbone, Bash, Bootstrap, CentOs, Chef, CodeIgniter, Dashing, GitHub, Google APIs, Grafana, Hubot, Jenkins, jQuery, Lumen, MySQL, Node.js, PHP, React, Redis, Ruby, Redmine, Sass, Stripe, Vagrant, WordPress
Manager of Strategy (October 2010 - May 2011); Interactive Strategist (August 2009 - September 2010)
- Managed a team of five strategic consultants for all of the agency’s client work.
- Worked as the primary point of contact for B2B, B2C and non-profit organizations.
- Developed comprehensive marketing plans centered around interactive web projects.
- Responsible for 20 to 30 active projects in various phases of completion at any given time.
- Created site and application wireframes, clickable prototypes and user stories to guide the development process.
Director of Publications (August 2008 - August 2009); Media Specialist (September 2006 - July 2008)
- Built and maintained multiple web applications for e-commerce, intranet tools and data interchange with partners.
- Negotiated contract terms with printers, mailers and trade magazines.
- Prepared annual departmental budget for print and web marketing strategy.
- Created semi-annual catalogs, circulars and web promotions for product sales.
- Responsible for accuracy, quality and consistency of all customer communications.
Pre-press Tech / Mac Operator (May - August 2006)
- Prepared internal and commercial print jobs for offset printing press.
- Provided technical support for multiple system platforms for colleagues and clients.
- Responsible for redesigning subsidiary newspaper’s website.
Executive Editor (August 2003 - May 2006); Technical Editor (October 2002 - July 2003)
- Managed a staff of 17 for editorial and business divisions of a weekly student newspaper.
- Conducted staff writer and editorial board meetings.
- Responsible for the design of Page 1, final approval of all pages.
- Created and maintained a dynamic content management system for website.
- Designed news graphics and photo illustrations for print and online editions.
- Responsible for proofed and encapsulated PDF pages for printing at a remote site.
- Covered the Student Government Association, feature stories and breaking news.
Communications Intern (May - August 2004)
- Worked in the Media Relations Department for a prominent junior golf tour.
- Designed print programs, fact sheets, press releases and feature stories for tournaments.
- Developed websites for major sponsored tournaments.
Application Developer (February 2001 - January 2003)
- Worked with a team of five on various IT projects for Nashville-based energy company.
- Developed and maintained an intranet portal for multi-enterprise collaboration.
- Developed an intranet-based application for reporting fuel prices across Middle Tennessee.
Project Management Institute; Credential #1672054
Earned November 2013; Expires November 2023
American Red Cross; Credential #002L2R7
Earned January 2020; Expires January 2022
Young Leaders Council Board Intern (May 2020 - Present)
Transit Now Nashville’s mission is to engage the Nashville community to promote a vibrant transit system.
President (March 2019 - Present); Trustee (2010 - 2013, 2018 - Present)
Because undergraduate chapter membership turns over every four years, the AVC provides continuity by maintaining a long-term perspective. AVCs that focus on the following will ensure the long-term growth and success of the chapter: Mentoring undergraduates, cultivating alumni, managing assets, and maintaining corporate health.
Contributing Writer (January 2017 - Present)
Regular contributor to Nashvillest, an award-winning blog started in 2008 by two Belmont graduates that wanted to share what they were learning about the Music City. My contributions typically cover news, politics and transit. The site’s content keeps readers informed and engaged with the city we call home.
Project Archivist (October 2015 - Present)
I maintain a growing digital archive of the student newspaper at the University of Tennessee at Martin. I have cataloged all available issues from 1928 to 1985, as well as several years in the early 2000s. I created an easy to use website for browsing the collection that is hosted on The Internet Archive.
Nashville Class 14 (June 2020 - July 2020)
The Transit Citizen Leadership Academy is designed to equip private- and public-sector leaders across the 10 counties of Middle Tennessee with tools to lead conversations about the value of multimodal transit across the region and about the emerging mass transit options that can address our mobility needs.
Nashville Class 74 (February 2020 - May 2020)
The Mission of the Young Leaders Council is to train diverse, committed individuals to effectively participate on the boards of nonprofit organizations and make a difference in the community by replenishing the volunteer leadership base.
Class of 2019 (February 2019 - April 2019)
Nashville Emerging Leaders (NEL) is an 11-week leadership training program designed for young professionals in Nashville. Each year, approximately 30 individuals are chosen through a rigorous selection process. NEL members participate in a series of weekly sessions facilitated by Strategy and Leadership.
Bachelor of Arts, Mass Communications (major); Business Administration (minor) - 2006