Web developer with a focus on agile project management and its connection to a coordinated marketing strategy.
- Methodologies: Behavior-Driven Development (BDD), Test-Driven Development (TDD), Agile, Scrum, Waterfall
- Development Tools & Platforms: GitHub, CodeIgniter, Laravel, WordPress, Lumen, Symfony, Ruby on Rails, React, Angular, Backbone, Sinatra, Node.js, Hubot, Dashing, jQuery, Redmine, Bootstrap, Zurb Foundation
- Software: Apache, NGINX, Chef, Puppet, Vagrant, Docker
- Systems: Amazon Web Services, Heroku, Linux (Debian, Ubuntu), MacOS, Microsoft Windows
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, Redis, Mongo
Application Developer at Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Application Developer (January 2017 - Present)
- Work on the platform web applications team for the Vanderbilt Institute for Clinical & Translational Research (VICTR).
- Develop and maintain applications that support the research mission of VUMC and participating institutions.
Application Developer at Raven Tools
Manager of Development (February 2016 - December 2016); Operations Manager & Senior Developer (December 2014 - February 2016); Senior Developer (May 2011 - December 2014)
- Manage a team of developers and quality analysts for product enhancements and bug fixes.
- Perform code reviews and manage the release of software to our production servers.
- Work on teams to build or redevelop sections of the application based on road-map.
- Develop internal tools to manage our operations via chat (e.g. Hubot Script Packages).
- Develop and maintain internal status boards to broadcast company performance.
- Participate in the on-call rotation for application and operations pagers.
- Work closely with our Customer Education team to resolve issues as they arise.
Interactive Strategist at Centresource Interactive Agency
Manager of Strategy (October 2010 - May 2011); Interactive Strategist (August 2009 - October 2010)
- Managed a team of five strategic consultants for all of the agency’s client work.
- Worked as the primary point of contact for B2B, B2C and non-profits organizations.
- Developed comprehensive marketing plans centered around interactive web projects.
- Responsible for 20 to 30 active projects in various phases of completion.
- Created site and application wireframes, clickable prototypes and user stories.
Web Developer & Graphic Designer at MTA Distributors
Director of Publications (August 2008 - August 2009); Media Specialist (September 2006 - August 2008)
- Managed in-house designers and external technology vendors.
- Negotiated contract terms with printers, mailers and trade magazines.
- Prepared annual departmental budget for print and web marketing strategy.
- Built and maintained internal software for managing cooperative advertising.
- Created semi-annual catalogs, circulars and web promotions for product sales.
- Responsible for accuracy, quality and consistency of all customer communications.
Pre-press Technician & Web Developer at Union City Daily Messenger
Pre-press Tech / Mac Operator (May - August 2006)
- Prepared internal and commercial print jobs for offset printing press.
- Provided technical support for multiple system platforms for colleagues and clients.
- Responsible for redesigning subsidiary newspaper’s website.
Newspaper Editor at The Pacer
Executive Editor (August 2003 - May 2006); Technical Editor (October 2002 - August 2003)
- Managed a staff of 17 for editorial and business divisions of a weekly student newspaper.
- Conducted staff writer and editorial board meetings.
- Responsible for the design of Page 1, final approval of all pages.
- Designed and maintained dynamic content management system for website.
- Designed news graphics and photo illustrations for print and online editions.
- Responsible for proofed and encapsulated PDF pages for printing at a remote site.
- Covered the Student Government Association, feature stories and breaking news.
Communications Intern at American Junior Golf Association
Communications Intern (May - August 2004)
- Worked in the Media Relations Department for a prominent junior golf tour.
- Designed print programs, fact sheets, press releases and feature stories for tournaments.
- Developed websites for major sponsored tournaments.
Application Developer at Tri Star Services
Application Developer (February 2001 - January 2003)
- Worked with a team of five on various IT projects for Nashville-based energy company.
- Developed and maintained an intranet portal for multi-enterprise collaboration.
- Developed an intranet-based application for reporting fuel prices across Middle Tennessee.
Built and maintain an online platform for managing season ticket groups for more than 2,600 pro and college teams. Uses Ruby on Rails 4 deployed on a Linode VPS. Integrated with XML Team, Twilio, Mandrill, Google Analytics and Mixpanel. Wrote open source Ruby Gem for XML Team integration.
Raven Tools (August 2012); Hubot, Node.js, CoffeeScript
Implemented dozens of open-source Hubot packages to facilitate team transition to using ChatOps more effectively. Migrated Hubots to Slack from IRC. Authored internal APIs to obtain company key performance indicators to share with the rest of the team. Periodically add new services as necessary.
Redmine Implementation / Plugin
Raven Tools (December 2011); Ruby on Rails, MySQL
Installed and maintained Redmine, an open-source project management platform. Trained staff on its use as well as developed workflows for customer support and development teams to work more efficiently. Authored a plugin to to integrate with Zendesk for linking customer support requests to developer tasks.
Google AdWords Management and Reporting Component
Lead a team of two to build AdWords management and reporting into the Raven Tools platform shortly after joining the company. Continued to maintain and enhance the integration through API changes and product requirement updates.
Wholesale Website Redesign
Cooperative Advertising Accounting Platform
Created back-end system to track cooperative advertising spending and collections. Integrated existing paper-based tracking of publications and projects with online database of vendors to track the amount of advertising space allocated per vendor in a given publication. Developed reporting system that generated requests for cooperative advertising funds per the terms stated on each individual vendor record. Added a method for tracking bids by printer and mailer for a given publication.
Created back-end system for multi-enterprise collaboration. Intranet portal allowed each department manager to manage files for their particular section of the website. Created a dynamic dealer directory tool using the Google Maps API to aid customer service representatives in directing end users to our customers, tailored to their proximity and range of services offered. Created numerous other tools and reports that worked with data stored in a PostgreSQL database from our ERP/CRM systems. Created overall layout and design for from team members’ conceptual illustrations.
Amazon Merchant Services Integration
MTA Distributors (2007); PHP, Postgres, XML
Launched project to bring two retail enterprises, Equipment2U.com and FineEntertaining.com, to the Amazon.com Merchant platform. Created XML files from a PostgreSQL product information database to specifications provided by Amazon.com. Assisted outside vendor with establishing transaction communications with Amazon Web Services (AWS). Worked closely with AWS integration team to create procedures and train staff for managing orders received through the Seller Central interface. Supported day to day operations of the systems so that they did not interfere with the wholesale distribution operations.
Redesign of Newspaper Website
Redesigned complete newspaper website that had been three months behind schedule in less than three weeks after joining team. Worked with the team to meet goals for the website and develop a work-flow that every component group could meet. Created the website with XHTML and CSS standards-compliant design. Developed advanced features beyond the capability of the underlying proprietary system to add dynamic weather reports and automatic updates from the classified advertising system. Integrated online advertising capability for present and future revenue sources.
Content Management System
Created a dynamic website for the campus newspaper to replace a rarely updated static website. Used PHP and MySQL Server to deliver the weekly contents of the newspaper to an online audience. Utilized latest RSS syndication standards to dynamically integrate with student information system portal. Trained three separate years of staff members on an intuitive content management back-end system. Created an open-source project to continue development of PacerCMS for future use by student and community newspapers.
Online Product Requisition
Created a supply chain ordering system for each store manager to request products and supplies from the warehouse with intuitive back end system for ease of use. Used ASP/VBScript and Microsoft SQL Server to create a Web-based ordering system for deployment to more than 90 convenience store locations. Products were accessible via browsing categories, keyword search or direct entry of unique ID number. Saved company thousands of dollars in lost orders or improperly completed order forms and produced $18K below competing offers.
Fuel Competition Survey
Developed a collaborative intranet portal with user login to share documents, applications and other relevant material via any networked machine with a Web browser. Used ASP/VBScript and Microsoft SQL Server to create a Web-based competition fuel survey system for deployment to more than 90 convenience store locations in Middle Tennessee. Daily reporting used by management to set fuel prices and meet FTC requirements for fair competition. Implemented project for a $33K cost savings below vendor offerings.
Project Management Institute; License #1672054
Earned November 2013; Expires November 2018
Bachelor of Arts, Mass Communications (major); Business Administration (minor) - 2006